Welcome! Please note this site deals with adult themes.
This blog is the often amusing, sometimes dangerous den of two British writers of contemporary and paranormal romance, and urban fantasy. Most of our stories are based in the UK and our heroes and heroines are passionate Brits - yes, passionate Brits exist! Come on in out of the cold, pull up a chair and see for yourself...

Monday 12 March 2012

The phases of writing!

One of the biggest parts of being a writer is waiting. Waiting to hear about a submission. Waiting for your contract. Waiting for your edits. It's good if you're a patient person, unfortunately I'm not.

At the moment I am waiting for my edits for the She-Wolf sequel - Cranberry Blood. I am also waiting for a contract for a co-authored futuristic YA novel - more on that when the ball gets rolling ;-) - as well as waiting to hear about two other submissions. So naturally while I am waiting, I am working on new projects.

Every writer has a routine, including me, even though I am big on improvising so as you can imagine there is mass craziness going on during the course of each project. That craziness usually goes like this . . .

Phase One - New Idea
Its so new. So shiny. I love it. Lets make a note of it in my journal.

Phase Two - The planning
I love this idea. Okay planning. Plot line. World building. Characters. Chapter by chapter Synopsis (note: there is always room for change) Okay planning done.

Phases Three - Beginning it
Hmmm needs to be a catchy. Hook the reader. Hmmmmm. I can always change it if I don't like it, but still . . . Hmmmm. Oh i know . . .

Phases Four - Writing your story (the first part)
Yes, this is going ok. I cant wait to get to the good bits. Get the ball rolling.

Phases Five - Writing your story still (the middle part)
Then this happens and that. Oh that is a brilliant idea lets add that in. I don't know if i like that, but I will leave it for now. No, it's to soon for that. Oh, easy there tiger. Oh no he didn't!!!

Phases Six - Writing your story... will it ever end? (the last part)
This is complete crap. What am I thinking? This doesn't even make sense. I suppose I could add that in, but I will have to change that other thing. *pulls hair out* Grrr. I hate this book. Why wont it end?

Phase Seven - The Climax
DIE! DIE! DIE! Oh, hang on .  .. There, that is okay for an ending, for now

Phase Eight - Realisation
ITS FINISHED. OH MY GOD IT'S FINISHED. *Pass out*

Phase Nine - The break
*Digs hole and buries story* I will be back in a week, or maybe a month, but I will be back, I promise *Covers hole*

Phase Ten - Edits
*Digs story up* Okay, time to edit. *Reading* Well I like that bit, but I don't think that bit works. Hmmmm . . . *writing* Oh, that's much better.

Phase Eleven - Half way through edits
Oh god I have ruined it. What was I thinking making her do that? I'm so stupid. This book is crap. When will this be over? Why did I even bother writing this stupid story in the first place??

Phase Twelve - Edits finished
Thank you Jesus!I have finished. *cries* Okay beta readers . . .

Phase Thirteen - Beta Readers
*Sends it* You will be fine. Just stay clear, be bold, and wow them all. *Prays* Please don't let them hate it.

Phase Fourteen - Feedback
That's good. That needs fixing. Hated that? Great, I need to change an entire chapter, but overall they liked. Well that's good.

Phase Fifteen - Edits
Oh god why do I have to do this again?

Phase Sixteen - Beta Readers
*scowls at* Be good this time.

Phase Seventeen - Query and Synopsis
Hate synopsis. Hate them. Hate them. Dear publisher, please like my story. Please. Please. Please lovely publisher, please love it. My book is good I swear, and if it isn't I will fix it, I promise.

Phase Eighteen - Feedback
Change this and that and it will be fine. Grrrr*

Phase Nineteen - Edits
Last time. Ha. As if.

Phase Twenty - Sending it to an agent
*Kissing story* We have worked so hard. Impress them. You're amazing. I am so sorry I was so hard on you. You will do great. Now go on before I change my mind.

Yes, I honestly do go through these phases. Although I would like to kill a lot of my characters most of the time, I love writing. Sometimes it isn't pretty, but finishing a project always feels amazing. I love it. And even if I want to kill the story at moment's, I am still proud of of what I write despite the inner critic screaming at me.

I am currently on phase 3 for 2 of my new projects, and phase 5 for the other 3. So I'm not at the crazy midway point yet . . . O_o

My only hope is that you will all enjoy the stories I write, because that's what makes the entire process the most rewarding. :-D

* I would just like to say to my Beta Readers that the grrr is not at them or the wonderful feedback they give me. The grrrrr is simply stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment