Welcome! Please note this site deals with adult themes.
This blog is the often amusing, sometimes dangerous den of two British writers of contemporary and paranormal romance, and urban fantasy. Most of our stories are based in the UK and our heroes and heroines are passionate Brits - yes, passionate Brits exist! Come on in out of the cold, pull up a chair and see for yourself...

Monday 8 April 2013

Expert turned Novice


Okay, I’ve never really been an expert at writing. I’m still learning as I go, but I’ve been feeling like a right novice the last couple of days. You see, I started two projects in October, managed to get a decent 4k done on both of them . . . and then my hours went up at work, it was Christmas and then New Year . . . then I quit my job because I was offered a better one. . . .

Life invaded my space, zapped my energy and stole my attention. That diva.

Yes, I know that outside of my head there is a world where my family and friends live, where jobs happen because bills need to be paid, but it has been so horrible not writing. I sat down last night and said, “hey, I know I have to work. I know there will be days where I am tired, and not motivated. I know I have friends and a family, and general things to do, but enough is enough. I need to write.”

I have never been quite about my dry periods. I don’t mean to whine about them, and I really hope I don’t come across that I am. Its just frustration that has to come out, but I have felt rather lost these last few months; like part of me is disappearing.

So, the other day I woke up and said to hell with the cleaning and the laundry and everything else. Writing is my top priority, before anything else. It’s my passion, what I love and what I enjoy spending my time doing. And guess what, I managed to get 1.5k written on one of my projects. I know it doesn’t seem a lot, but I was very happy that I had managed it.

Then I re-read it all and realized it was no good. It didn’t sound right, or flow well.

I feel like I’m starting all over again. As a writer you are continually growing, and improving with each story you write, but I honestly felt like an absolute novice who really had no idea what she was doing.  I don’t know if any other writer has this problem when they have had a dry patch, but if you have, how the heck do you snap out of it?

I mean, I spent last month editing my co-authored project – which my writing partner and I have decided to self-publish, so more on that when I have news – but editing is so very different from starting fresh.

Needless to say I deleted everything I wrote and did it again, and then I tweaked and moved, and continued in this very slow manner for two days until everything clicked in to place. The funny thing is I only have another 1,000 words to write and then I’m done, and it will be time to edit. *Head desk*It feels good to be writing again, though. So damn good. And I have to say that I’m very excited about cracking on with my next project, but it is a longer story which is why I decided to wait. It made more sense to get the shorter story done and dusted first.

The current project is a short story titled, “Truth or Dare?” It’s not plot heavy, just something sexy and fun, and it involves tequila shots and a game that turns serious for two of the players. ;-P

The next project is a paranormal novella titled, “Let Me In.” I’m not sure at the moment if it will be longer and end up being a novel, or if it will be three novella’s. I haven’t got that far in to the planning, because well, I’m a punster. Ha. But it’s a dark paranormal about the dangers of falling in to bed with strange sinful men. :-D

So, I have 1k to go. I plan to have “Truth or Dare?” finished this week, edited, and submitted. Surely I can do that? *Gets on knees and prays, “Please let everyone leave me alone for a week. Amen.”*

2 comments:

  1. Well done for getting those 1500 words done! No, it's never easy making the time, but I reckon just 500 words a day is good. 500 words a day gives you a novella in a month ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hun. Well, I have aimed for 1k a week. I usually go way over that, but since I've done Jack for 6 months it's a good goal, I think.

      Good news is that I'm a couple 100 words from the end, and I have beat my word count. Yay! :-) xxx

      Delete