Welcome! Please note this site deals with adult themes.
This blog is the often amusing, sometimes dangerous den of two British writers of contemporary and paranormal romance, and urban fantasy. Most of our stories are based in the UK and our heroes and heroines are passionate Brits - yes, passionate Brits exist! Come on in out of the cold, pull up a chair and see for yourself...

Friday 24 January 2014

The progression of The Spell of Summer (10,000 words in).

I'm going to postpone my question from Elizabeth for a week and instead, I'm going to tell you a bit about The Spell of Summer and how it's progressing.

I'm slowly starting to fall in love with Meredith (Merri) and Jamie.

I had quite a strong idea for this book when I started writing it. As is almost always the case, one sentence leads to another and suddenly, things that you didn't quite expect to happen are happening (namely, the characters rebel and want to do things their own way).

I can now safely say that (for the purposes of categorisation) this book will fall into Contemporary Romantic Fiction. The "thread" of magic is there, but way more subtle than I originally thought it would be, to the point that I can't really call this book a paranormal romance.

This might also end up being a 100,000 word book. I've estimated at 80,000 so far, but there's a lot of background to cover in the beginning of the book so we can understand events better as they unfold. I don't actually like writing "background". It's always a challenge to write it and not make it boring, especially when it includes some flashbacks, which this does. It has to not be confusing and it has to not be boring. I think I might succeed, but it's also one of those things you'll never know for sure until the novel is complete and you read it in its entirety, so we shall see. I might be in for some brutal editing, although I hope not.

So, yes, there are flashbacks in this book. We mostly flash back to when Meredith was sixteen years old - just sixteen, actually - we flash back to the events of the day after her sixteenth birthday, and in case you missed the teaser, they go something like this:

















You can also view the image here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=670024649702791&set=a.321274827911110.72074.144058758966052&type=1&theater

There will be a teaser posted up on my Facebook page (which I'll also get round to adding to my site) at every 10% mark that I hit. I'm on 12% at the moment. Fun and games :) The light-hearted novel that I'd intended to write is turning out to be not so light-hearted after all, but hopefully, it will be heartful.

You can keep track of the novel's progress here: http://www.diannahardy.com/the-spell-of-summer.html

Dianna x

No comments:

Post a Comment