Welcome! Please note this site deals with adult themes.
This blog is the often amusing, sometimes dangerous den of two British writers of contemporary and paranormal romance, and urban fantasy. Most of our stories are based in the UK and our heroes and heroines are passionate Brits - yes, passionate Brits exist! Come on in out of the cold, pull up a chair and see for yourself...

Thursday 11 September 2014

Return Of The Wolf (Eye Of The Storm #4) - The Waning Moon and Introspection

57% into writing Return of The Wolf and I have to say that it's probably the hardest book I've ever written, and I'm not overly sure why. It could be because there's just been such a lot going on in my personal life that, three quarters of the way through the year, I feel kinda scattered. It could be because this book touches on some dark subject matter - all my books do, I guess - but with this one, the darkness needs to be spelled out a little more, so that readers can understand how and why the characters evolve the way that they do. I'm being very picky about how things are portrayed - everything needs to make sense and have a reason, but still be readable, without giving too much away straight away. The pattern has been, that I write a couple of chapters and then decide I don't like something and have to go back through the whole manuscript to change things, and this has happened a few times with this story.

Return Of The Wolf begins straight after the events of Heart Of The Wolf. The moon is now waning, and just as - metaphysically - that represent a phase of inner-reflection and settling, so shall it be with this book. The big climax happened at the end of Heart Of The Wolf  (and I mean that in every sense), and now everyone needs to process that, and deal with the consequences of their actions - new realisations also come to light now that everything is a little calmer.

This book contains just a little bit less action than the other three, and the focus is mostly on some deep healing for our favourite characters, before things take off again in book five (there will be six books altogether).

So, that's where I'm at. I think part of the reason this book is harder to write, is because part of me wants to put some huge plot twist in this one like my others (I might still do that), but this book isn't actually about twists and turns - it's about what happens after, and how you handle a straight long road after life has taken you on a bender, so to speak.

I'm intrigued to see how the next 43% pans out. I'm interested in seeing how readers will take to this one. Time will tell. But remember, there are still two more books to go ;)

Dianna xx

1 comment: