Welcome! Please note this site deals with adult themes.
This blog is the often amusing, sometimes dangerous den of two British writers of contemporary and paranormal romance, and urban fantasy. Most of our stories are based in the UK and our heroes and heroines are passionate Brits - yes, passionate Brits exist! Come on in out of the cold, pull up a chair and see for yourself...

Thursday 17 May 2012

No such thing as time off...?

Today was my daughter's 3rd birthday :)

Yesterday, we took the day off and went to Peppa Pig World. Today was also a day off. I've got to say that taking the time off to solely focus on the family and my daughter has been wonderful (particularly yesterday - yesterday was just amazing :)), BUT, this saying is true:

A writer never has a vacation. For a writer's life consists of either writing or thinking about writing. 
- Eugene Ionesco

I can't say that I completely let go of my deadlines, my story arc, the current scene I'm writing and what exactly needs editing, and further thoughts on my upcoming projects. It's always there ... always. And I don't know how to get rid of it. I'm not sure I can. At least, not when I'm in the middle of a story - maybe it's easier when a book has actually just been completed and published, but until then, it sort of feels like an unwarranted luxury to take time off. In fact, taking time off can sometimes make me feel more stressed than if I'm working/writing. I guess I just need to feel like I deserve the time off. Or maybe it's because leaving a story hanging in mid-air is a little like having to wait to know something major in your life - it's that awful 'unfinished' feeling.

Anyway, here's a [silly and cheesy] pic of all of us at Peppa Pig World yesterday. My daughter loved "driving" the car. She always pretends she's driving Daddy's car anyway. The day was so great, I almost didn't think about writing at all :)

Sorry the pic's a bit big, but you just can't see it in the smaller size.

1 comment:

  1. I so did not know there was a Peppa Pig World; that's insane. Looks like a ton of fun though and the little lady is a very good driver. Glad you all had a fab day! :-D

    As for the time off . . . I don't think it is possible unless - as you said yourself - you're between projects. But if you are anything like me guilt does eat at you a little especially if you have ideas saved in a ton of files.

    All I can say is when you do have a day off enjoy it and just keep telling yourself you will be glued to the computer aaaallll day tomorrow. ;-P

    ReplyDelete