Welcome! Please note this site deals with adult themes.
This blog is the often amusing, sometimes dangerous den of two British writers of contemporary and paranormal romance, and urban fantasy. Most of our stories are based in the UK and our heroes and heroines are passionate Brits - yes, passionate Brits exist! Come on in out of the cold, pull up a chair and see for yourself...

Monday 21 May 2012

Project Theme Songs


So I thought today I would go with a more laid back – perhaps fun? – blog post instead of the semi-serious ones I’ve been doing the last couple of weeks. And since I’m in the midst of a new project – and one that is slow going – I thought I would make today’s post a musical one.

I am one of many authors who likes to whip up a playlist when she has projects. Mainly because when I am on the bus I like to listen to my MP3 player and I will listen to the playlist I have made for my current WIP. Let’s face it, when you’re on the bus all you can do is think and plan, so I like to have a good think when I’m on public transport.

I just find that having a playlist helps me get in the mood. Certain songs for certain characters and scenes, and it just set the mood for me.

So, I thought I would share all the theme songs to my manuscripts. And by theme songs I just mean the song that either inspired me to write the story in the first place, or the songs that just fit so perfectly for the general feel.

(All the songs are off of YouTube and I had to basically pick the ones that would work on the blog.)

She-Wolf (The Blood Series Prequel.) Now I think I have mentioned it a few times, and anyone who has read the book will know that the awesome music of Nickleback was the soundtrack for this book. But, it was one song in particular that inspired the first chapter/scene of the book – yup, the moment Owen realizes that the stripper he is watching is Clare; tasty tension -  and that song was . . . “Follow you Home” which is quite fitting, really. :-P

Nickleback – Follow you Home



Cranberry Blood, book 1 in The Blood Series. I wrote this novel before She-Wolf and the playlist is quite mixed. There are three songs from the brilliant 30 seconds to Mars which fit great, and there is a particular fight scene that was inspired by the Black Eyed Peas – “Pump it.” Oh yeah, but I’m not going to spoil it by telling you which scene or where it happens. I’m sure you will be able to tell once the book has been released.

In saying all that, another band that helped create the mood for this book was The Hoosiers. I don’t know if anyone on the opposite side of the pond will have heard of them? A lot of their songs are rather upbeat and catchy but others are quite, what’s the word I’m looking for? Not darker, but softer, perhaps sadder. The lead singer has a lovely unusual voice and I really do like the band, but it was the title track to their album that I heard and just though, “yeah, that sums up the heroines life perfectly.”

So, the theme song for the soon to be released – you’ll know the date when I do – Cranberry Blood is “The Trick to Life.” I think this song gives a good feel for what the next book in The Blood Series will be like.

The Hoosiers – The Trick to Life



The Collector (Book 1 in The Overseers Series.) I didn’t actually have a very big playlist for this book. I think I basically listened to Celine Dion's verison of "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face." I admit it is over romantic and very dramatic, but it's beautiful and sweet and in a way detailed. Someone really looking at someone, which would sum up Kale since he is a fallen angel and very innocent and aware of everything around him.

Celine Dion - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face



 Razel Dazzle. Again I didn’t have a huge soundtrack for this novella. Since part of the story is set at Christmas I listened to Mariah Carreys “All I want for Christmas is you” as you do when writing a romance at this particular time of year. But since the heroine of the story is a model I found myself listening to the song “Pose” a lot. It’s fun and sexy and just fit on a number of levels.

Justin Timberlake – Pose


Watermaker (Book 1 in the Black Water Trilogy.) This book has just been accepted with Noble Romance Young Adult. It is a co-authored manuscript with a friend of mine from Oklahoma. It is a dystopian futuristic story and I had a lot of fun writing it. We would tell each other which songs seemed to help us get in the mood and setting of this book – a lot where songs from Evanescence. But the song I would listen to a lot for this particular project was “Resistance” by my favourite band, Muse.

Muse - Resistance



Stepping Stones. A project that I recently submitted to Noble Romance; it is actually my first sweet romance. So it’s something a little different to my other books.

As soon as I see those two words I always automatically think of Duffy’s song which is titled the same. I did listen to her song – and I would advise everyone to, it’s beautiful – but it wasn’t accurate for this particular story. So added two of Blue’s old songs on the playlist, for anyone who may know who the band Blue were. I actually thought they were really good, but alas they broke up years ago.

The soundtrack for this novella is actually full or songs from the band Keane, and this one in particular stood out for me when writing this story.

Keane - We Might As Well Be Strangers




Creak is yet another manuscript I have recently submitted to Noble for one of their anthology calls. So fingers crossed, because this novella is actually an erotic thriller. So yet again, something different.
Hey, like my tagline says, “I like variety” it’s not a crime. ;-P

I listened to one song for this novella, which I managed to write in a two weeks. Oh why can’t it be like that for every project? Wishful thinker I am indeed.

Lyrics Born – I Like It. I Love It.



And last, but naturally not least, the current WIP. I’ve actually been listening to a lot of songs by a band called RED. I went hunting for new music and came across them and I think their stuff is really good. So yay, I found a new kick ass band and managed to get me some new inspiration for the current series. Yup, I am working on another series. I am mad.

Charged (Generation Breed: The Turning Point.) Despite the fact that I am listening to a lot of RED, the song that actually reminds me of this particular project is by a band called Theory of a deadman who my younger cousin introduced me to. I like the roughness to the lead singer’s voice and how this particular song gives a sense of vulnerability despite the fact you feel the people involved are strong. Does that make any sense? You will get what I mean when you hear it.

Theory Of A Deadman - By The Way


So what song is the theme tune for your latest or current work in project?

No comments:

Post a Comment