Welcome! Please note this site deals with adult themes.
This blog is the often amusing, sometimes dangerous den of two British writers of contemporary and paranormal romance, and urban fantasy. Most of our stories are based in the UK and our heroes and heroines are passionate Brits - yes, passionate Brits exist! Come on in out of the cold, pull up a chair and see for yourself...

Tuesday 12 June 2012

The edits are done!

My post is a little late today, because I was finishing off my edits for my upcoming release, Cranberry Blood (Book 1 in The Blood Series).

So, I promise late posts aren't becoming a naughty habit of mine.

Edits are frustrating. I'm sure most writers will agree with that? There is something horrid about having to rip anything from lines to entire scenes from a book that you worked so hard on. But, in saying that I understand why it must be done and naturally, edits are extremely important.

I don't know about anyone else, but I go through the habit of second guessing . . . everything. "Why did I write this? Does it make sense? Is it funny or do I have a rubbish sense of humour?" Second guessing is horrid. Not to mention it can cause paranoia, but I guess with each book an author writes they do indeed grow and improves and their voice changes slightly. So comparing projects happens. I wish it wouldn't lol but I guess we're a fussy lot.

I got my edits for CB last Wednesday and I have spent the last six days editing the manuscript. I have a little ritual. I edit everything my editor points out and then I go back to the beginning and edit it for myself. Adding, smoothing or extending parts. Blows my mind a little, but I get it done.

Cranberry Blood is around the 96K mark - yeah, it's a beast of a book and roughly 26K longer than She-Wolf - and I have to say it was nice familiarizing myself with the story. This book is kinda special to me because it was the first story I came up with. The version that will be published is the second version I wrote, but I'm excited and nervous and everything in between about it being published. Mostly excited though lol

So, I think it is safe to say that after six days of editing I am going to chill out tomorrow, before I jump in to working on my next little project. :-P

I shall leave you with the blurb for Cranberry Blood (Book 1 in The Blood Series) which will be released on July 2nd from Noble Romance Publishing.

*Squeak* :-P

Cranberry Blood Blurb:

Killing Vampires? Easy. Tracking someone? Simple. Helping, and protecting a Vampire slayer... Bloody hard work!

Thirteen years ago, Brendan Daniels made a deal with a psychic. In exchange for information on the whereabouts of a Rogue Werewolf, he promised to help and protect Sofia's granddaughter. Unfortunately, he had no idea what he was getting himself, or his Pack, into.

Nothing about Heather is simple, from her weird dietary needs to her life’s mission. The girl can handle herself, but the promise to protect her soon becomes a need, and one that he can't fully understand.


Vampire Slayer. Born Infected. Blood addict... but not by choice.

Heather Ryan is the most recent slayer in a long family line. Like all before her, she has spent her life searching for her ancestor, Marko Pavel, the Vampire her family has sworn to kill. If that isn't complicated enough, Heather is also a born "Infected", and to keep her from becoming insane or giving in to her darker side, she is on a very strict diet.

Grandmother Sofia has passed, so now it is up to Heather to take the family legacy into her own hands, all alone: or at least, it would have been, if her Grandmother hadn't sent a Werewolf to help her.

What is the irritating Brendan supposed to help Heather with? Sofia never told either one of them. But it doesn't take long for Heather and Brendan to find out that the Vampires have big plans, and that the fiends have waited a long time for them both.

The Blood Series Facebook Page - For updates, background information, character profiles and more.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome darling. It's quite intimidating to hear how your editing tales. I have a novella trilogy coming out, one of which has gone to line edits and the other which is only on round 2, but it's all been very simple and easy. I think I ever manage to get one of my full-lengths published, editing will be a much more frightening task. Thanks for sharing, this is a totally cool blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, hun. :-D I had a lot of fun writing this story.

    Simple and easy is good, but I have found that it is nice to edit novellas. I opened this manuscript and I looked at the word count and I was like . . . O_o "Oy, painful. My poor editor."

    It is definitely the word count that makes you want to rip your hair out, but once you get started you just go with it. Then have plenty of vodka shots to celebrate when you're finished. :-P

    ReplyDelete