Welcome! Please note this site deals with adult themes.
This blog is the often amusing, sometimes dangerous den of two British writers of contemporary and paranormal romance, and urban fantasy. Most of our stories are based in the UK and our heroes and heroines are passionate Brits - yes, passionate Brits exist! Come on in out of the cold, pull up a chair and see for yourself...

Monday 15 October 2012

Points of View

I finally got my butt in gear and started concentrating and working on my lil' side project last week. I managed to write 1.2k and as sad as it may seem I was super happy about that. The reason being that - as you may already know from reading any of my previous posts - I've been settling in to a new job, and then I've had some crazy personal/family problems that have been getting me down, and basically sucking the energy out of me.

So, I sit down and write 1.2k. I go to bed feeling good, wake up feeling great. I get to work with a plan to come home and continue and what happens . . . I hit a wall. Fantastic.

I don't know about anyone else, but not being able to write - especially when you would love too - plain sucks, and kinda makes you feel a little crazy. Well, it makes me feel a little crazy, especially when I have had such a long break between projects, and have books that I both want and need to write since a couple of them are in series.

Needless to say I didn't get much else done last week.

I started late today, because it was my day off and I had company, but when I finally did sit down at the computer I figured out what was basically bugging me was the POV.

Now, I have written two stories and a short in third person. I can write it, and I can make it work, but I find I really do prefer first person. Don't get me wrong I enjoy books written in both POV and as I just said I can write both, but there is something freeing about first person. There is something intimate about being in the characters head. I mean, maybe I am just really nosey and/or controlling because I love being at the heart of a character. I love picking them to pieces, and although I know all my characters very well I don't feel that connection with characters written in third.

Does that make sense? Do you find you favour one POV more than the other; that one is easier?

The good news is I did manage to add 500 words to my lil' WIP because I spent most of my time today changing the POV, but hey, 500 words is better than none, right? I'm hoping that now I have changed the POV it will be smooth sailing, or rather, writing. The project will only be a sexy short story at the length of 3/4k. So, I could actually finish it within the next day or so, which I will really like.

Wish me luck! I am up to the part where my heroine is about to lock eyes with a sexy stranger; one who turns out to be a demon in bed. ;-p

No comments:

Post a Comment