Welcome! Please note this site deals with adult themes.
This blog is the often amusing, sometimes dangerous den of two British writers of contemporary and paranormal romance, and urban fantasy. Most of our stories are based in the UK and our heroes and heroines are passionate Brits - yes, passionate Brits exist! Come on in out of the cold, pull up a chair and see for yourself...

Monday 12 May 2014

Genres

Today is going to be a short post on writing genres, or more to the point on writing more than one genre.

First and foremost I am an erotic romance author. I could say romance, but in truth even though I have - to date - only written one sweet romance, I do prefer to write erotic romance. I don't like closing the door on intimate scenes, because when you are writing such strong feelings between two characters I find as both a reader and a writer I want to soak in every single second of their connection and their journey together. So, yes, first and foremost I am an erotic romance author.

Now, you may have seen my author tag line somewhere at some point: A pick ‘n’ mix genre author. “I’m not greedy. I just like variety.”

When I started writing I threw that tag line out there for myself, because although I do tend to stick with the paranormal and contemporary genre I knew deep down that if my imagination ran wild and took me in different worlds, I wanted to make sure everyone knew I would run with it.

Up to this point all my books have been set in modern times, contemporary settings, I haven't gone or created a completely new world, nor have I do anything set in the future or the past. And most of my books have supernatural characters in them and fall under paranormal/urban fantasy because beyond all over genres they are the two that attract me the most.

So as you can imagine when I do decide to dip my toe in another genre it feels a little strange, which is the case with my recent project. I have mentioned it before briefly, the retelling of a Grimm Fairytale I am taking part in for Decadent Publishings, Beyond Fairytale Series call.

I have gone fantasy with this story, with a hint of paranormal added in. I am excited, and there are so many possibilities, but I have to confess I feel as though I am not quite in my body while I am writing this story - and I am 6.8K in at the moment - and I can't quite figure out why.

It's not like I haven't written outside my preferred genre before. Creak my erotic thriller was a first for me. I had no idea if I would be able to pull such a story off, even though it seems to be going down well with readers, but I never thought I would write a thriller. It was just a deliciously random idea, which I enjoyed and am thinking about possibly writing a sequel, but we shall wait and see. Then there is my sweet romance, Stepping Stones, which is being re-released with Bono Books soon. I didn't feel like I was out of my body writing that book, but the pace was a lot slower and well, different and I do still worry that it wont be up to par, especially if you're use to my other works. If you have read any of my stories there is usually a ton of profanity, sex and humour, which has been toned down in Stepping Stones.

But this current WIP of mine, I don't know if it's because it has been a while since I have written something brand spanking new, or if it is indeed the change of genre and the fact that I am creating a whole new world and form of existence - which yeah, it probably is - but I know I keep writing and then sitting there dreading that it wont make sense, or that it is rubbish.

It's normal for authors to feel this way about their work, but I really do think that such a feeling is amplified when it is a different genre. Usually we surprise ourselves though. I know I'm surprised at what I have written so far. I just hope that in the end I manage to write a decent Fantasy story, but at least I am making progress, and I will never know if it is any good until I finish it. So, I better keep cracking at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment